Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year and New Challenges

Here it is a new year! The last twelve months have zipped by for me... for you too?

As 2012 drew to an end I finalized a commission and began forming some new ideas for work I want to do.

That's always the challenge before me... to create something beautiful or thought-provoking. Something fresh. New. Really, just how do I make a good painting... or a painting good? I want it to be more than just good enough.

These sketches are a hint of what has been jiggeting about in my brain. I'll show you some more later. (Please contact me if you would like to purchase any.)

Now it is January first. What does that mean? The first day of the year brings promises of things to come in my minds' eye. Does it for you? Some people feel like we get a fresh start with a new year, and I think there is something to that.

Although I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, I do have some new goals I'm challenging myself with this year. Or maybe, like so many New Year's resolutions, they are merely old goals with a fresh face.

Whatever they are, the first one I'm tackling starts tomorrow: 30 pieces in 30 days.  I've picked faces and figures for my month's theme to keep my interest and energy strong.

Can I do it? Will I get the other paintings done I want to do? Will I get any sleep? Will the family have any meals or clean laundry? We shall see!

It shouldn't be too hard, right? Many of you who are artists know that it is hard, sometimes really hard.

Just before Christmas I received a book in the mail that I'd been looking forward to seeing in print.

The book is Artists Speak, published by The Philadelphia/Tri-State Artists Equity Association. It is about "the revelations of contemporary artists, their lives, dreams, problems, joys and craft".

I was asked months ago to write the introduction to the chapter Balancing Art, Work, and Family. I considered it a privilege to share my thoughts regarding those specific challenges!

I am so impressed with the lovely work in the chapter by the men and women who are making art while working jobs and taking care of families!

Indeed the whole book is filled with outstanding and thought-provoking images and words regarding the challenges of being an artist. You can order the book at the Artists Equity page and see it for yourself.

So, what are your challenges? And do you have some new ones you've picked for the upcoming weeks and months?

4 comments:

Brad Miedema said...

What a great challenge you have before you. It does sound hard, but I am sure you can do it.

The figure drawings are amazing Diana! I also really like your last post of the dancing girl.

Happy New Year to you and your family, Diana. I hope you have a very productive and successful year ahead! God Bless you.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for your encouragement and your vote of confidence, Brad! Wishing you and yours the Lord's blessings too.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Oh, these new figure sketches are very nice! The last is also my favorite. Yikes! 30 in 30! Good luck!! Hope to see more soon and I bet I will. Happy New Year my blogger friend!! Much love!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Diane, that last one was an interesting challenge to draw. I enjoyed it and it gave me several ideas for some more work, which I hope to do in the coming weeks or months!

Wishing you a blessed New Year, too! I hope we can get together one of these years in person. Until then, wrap your arms around your waist and squeeze and that's a hug from me.