Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Dozen Down

(left) "Mona Lisa's Legs"
Oil 6.5"x11", unframed
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

What do you suppose daVinci's Mona looked like as a figurative model?

I'm guessing she was more plump than this young lady, but perhaps if Leonardo was working nowadays, he'd chose someone lean and muscular.

The challenge this month to do a new piece every day has been good in many ways. The daily practice has been instructional to me and even though other tasks are not getting done, it is good to set aside a large chunk every day to paint and draw.

Some days I have started paintings but needed to work on them longer. The drawings served on those days as faster pieces to post for completed work.

My inventory list is off to a good start this year. Last year I was much slower with work and did not have this many pieces done until March. Granted I had been working on a commission and another pretty large painting, so those took up a lot of my painting time.

Speaking of inventory: have you seen my newest article? It's about making an inventory list: how-to, advantages, and practical hints. You can check it out in the latest issue of Professional Artist Magazine.

6 comments:

Dean H. said...

Your question on Leonardo stirs the curiosity...It's too early in the morning to get my brain cells working.

Love this and all your 30/30 paintings!
They are so very complex and complete. More than what I would consider to be the "normal" daily painting!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha, Dean. Food for thought, then!

Thank you for the kudos. I am enjoying ratcheting up my brain and skills a bit by doing these.

Part of my motivation, beyond the good practice is to explore some ideas for bigger pieces this month or at least trigger some thoughts about what I want to do for more "important" work.

Ruth Andre said...

Your new series is really wonderful. I love all the fun model poses you are using.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Ruth. I am interested in doing some fun and different ideas this month, so I'm happy that is happening.

Crystal Cook said...

Oh Diana, this is so gorgeous! I love this piece so much. I love how you use classic poses but with a very contemporary twist.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I like that definition, Crystal. Thank you!