Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Twenty-eight

"Morning Prayer”
Oil, 9"x7” unframed
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

I originally wanted to put a sky in with this figure but when I tried it, the painting lost the air of mystery I saw in the pose. It just looked contrived, even corny. So, something simple and subdued for a background seemed best.

4 comments:

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

You are so talented and with so many media! These are all so lovely, I cannot pick a favorite.

Stay warm up there in Idaho!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Carol, for your nice encouragement.

Although I've been working primarily in oil for the last few years, I enjoy getting the pastels out and using them for quick studies.

And I think it is always good to keep sketching. Charcoal is such a wonderful material to use.

Candy Barr said...

Wow...such a powerful piece Diana. Her upward gaze and gesture are set off so beautifully by your extreme contrast of light and dark. a really good painting!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I am happy to hear those qualities came through in the piece, Candy. Thanks so much for dropping by. Your encouragement means a lot to me.