Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, October 16, 2015

2015 Scotchman Peaks Paint Out

(left) "Hopeful Morning"
Oil, 5"x10"
©2015 Diana Moses Botkin

Last weekend was the annual Scotchman Peaks Paint Out. There was no competition this year, which made for a friendly gathering.

Outskirts Gallery hosted the event again this year and organized three demo/lectures by Aaron Cordell Johnson (demo on painting clouds, only one of Aaron's notable skills), Greg Caudell (demo/talk on exploring color), and Alison Barrows Young (overview on plein air history).

I was happy to get out and paint early before the demos started, and encouraged that I haven't totally forgotten how to paint. The morning oil study I did went well and helped my confidence level.

(left) "Shining Afternoon"
Oil, 4"x8"
©2015 Diana Moses Botkin

This summer and fall have been busy with other projects and plein air painting has taken a back seat. After the demos Saturday I ventured out to paint again, hoping for some rosy late light. Clouds moved in and rain started, but I managed to get this little autumn study to a decent point before quitting.

(left) "Bright Evening at the Flats" 
Oil, 5"x7"
©2014 Diana Moses Botkin

Then it was time to put the wet paintings in frames and take them to the gallery for the reception. I also hung this painting from 2014 that didn't get framed last year for Scotchman Peaks. The show will continue at Outskirts through the end of the year.
 

5 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

These are all beautiful - hard to pick one i like the best. I really admire your compositions and colors. You capture the "light" so well.

hmuxo said...

I love all three Diana! The softness of the colors makes it so beautiful!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Julie and Hilda for your words of encouragement!

Jane Hunt said...

You definitely have not forgotten how to paint Diana :) I always love seeing your studies!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate that, Jane. Thanks for dropping by!