Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Number Seventeen

"Awaken”
Oil on canvas 
6.5"x12”
Framed in custom
gold and black frame
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

If you're an artist, I'm guessing you might go through what I sometimes do with paintings.

I have an idea, references, model, or wonderful landscape before me, and excitement for the painting. As I begin the piece, I think, "This is going to be the best painting I've ever done". After a little while working on it my thoughts shift to, "This is the worst painting I've ever done!"

As I continue painting on it, I think I may be able to get it to work. A little later I start to realize it's not half-bad.

4 comments:

pattrsnd said...

Beautiful figurative work, Diana!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, David. I enjoyed working on this one, although it was not one of those that practically painted itself.

Sherry Schmidt said...

Beautiful Diana! I also have paintings that go through that "I give up" stage.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad I'm not alone, Sherry. I'm actually happy with this piece but it went through several stages before I felt pleased. This has been happening a lot lately!