Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

September Painting Challenge: Party Dress






(left) "New Dress"
Oil on hardboard
10"x12"
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin
Ruth Andre picked our Challenge this month which was a hit with all the group. I had the idea to dress up the grandgirl in a party dress, but didn't get the chance.

Instead, I chose to work from an existing photo taken by my daughter. I loved the pose and mood, but the angle of the face was quite a challenge. Nostrils, upraised little chin and those ears down low were all out to get me! Even so, I'd like to try some variations of this one again some time. Please contact me if you are interested in this painting, or something like it of your own darlin'.

Every month each member of the Challenge Group emails their painting to the other members and then we post them all on our blogs. It is so much fun to see how each artist approaches the chosen subject. I especially love this month's spectacular array of paintings for "Party Dress". Please visit the links to each artist's blog to read the story of how all the dresses came to be painted.










(left,
above) "Stephanie" Oil on canvas, 12"x6" ©2011 Ruth Andre
(center, above) "That Party Dress" Oil on canvas, 24x18" ©2011 Suzanne Berry
(right, above) "Faire Dress" Oil on panel, 16"x12" ©2011 Robin Cheers

(left)
"Party Dress on the Beach"
Pastel
9"x12"
©2011 Vicki Ross

10 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, Your painting is so sweet. Love the pose and that cute face. Great painting.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Ruth. And THANK YOU for your choice of our subject for this month's Challenge. What fun!

Sherry Maxwell said...

OH MY...Your model is sooo beautiful. I know you are proud of her. She is so sweet. Love you painting. Very inspiring!

suzanneberry said...

wow, diana, i can almost hear her giggle and coo! adorable, just really, really sweet!

maddyrose said...

What a precious painting. Such joy on her sweet little face.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Sherry, I am indeed proud of my little model. I'm hoping to get more inspiring references of her for future paintings!

Suzanne, thanks so much! This one was fun to paint at the beginning (like all of them, eh?) but quickly became difficult because of all the hard to read details.

Thanks so much for dropping by, Maddyrose!

Celeste Bergin said...

very nice "challenge" results from everyone. I love baby...she looks so gleeful!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for dropping by and leaving your comments, Celeste. I enjoyed meeting you at the paintout in Hood River. It's nice to hear from you!

hmuxo said...

This is such a beautiful painting! She's so adorable!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. I'd like to do some more paintings of this adorable girl!