Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Daily Painting with my Little Paint Box

This is me working on the onion painting at the Art Faire, using my small cigar box pochade. It's small enough to fit in my briefcase along with a camera, sketch book and a few other essentials.

For the box, I've narrowed it down to 8 or 9 tiny tubes of paint, a small bottle of thinner and a sample size of Galkyd medium. There is also just enough room for some short handled brushes and a palette knife. Oh, and I use a disposable painting palette pad I cut to fit the box.

At the end of my painting session, I fold the top sheet with the paint, stick it in a plastic bag and deal with it at home later. Sometimes I'll add my dirty brushes to the baggie, as well. If there is leftover paint, I transfer it to my palette at home. Waste not, want not.

I do have bigger painting boxes I take sometimes when I go out for demos, on trips, or to paint out. But I love the simplicity, light weight, and compactness of this one and use it often.

©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

16 comments:

Antony Bridge said...

looking like a great pochade.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed visiting your blog too... what a great group you have there!

Anonymous said...

There is something about this photo that makes me want to be there painting with you.

Nice onion - I trust you didn't cry.

Todd Bonita said...

Love your little box...great little painting too.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks to both of you for the compliments. Stop by and paint with me anytime you're up here on the edge of the earth!

Anonymous said...

Diana, while on vacation this last week, I read your excellent article in the September issue of Art Calendar. I was just flipping through and saw your name. What a neat surprise!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Silvina. I guess you just never know where I might pop up!

That article was months in the making.. hope you found it helpful. Maybe we'll see you on YouTube one of these weeks?

indiaartist said...

Great idea. Love the finished painting of the onion.

Frank Gardner said...

Cool little paint box Diana,

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you all for your kind encouragement. I love blogging.

Cecelia said...

What a neat painting set up you have. As I grow older, I find that I'm needing to carry a lot less stuff with me. I have a small watercolor sketchbook, a Winsor Newton travel set of watercolors with several small brushes, pencils, pens, a sharpener, eraser, and a small pill bottle or film container for water that fit into my purse. I also have a tote bag with a larger sketchbook, a clipboard that has a place for paper, pencils, etc., a few paper towels and Kleenex, and a bottle of water, a small spray bottle, and a can of Sprite (to drink) that I carry with me. I'm all set for any occasion! Also have a larger pochade box with my oil painting things in it and an easel on the top-in case.
Most often, though, I end up sketching using the clipboard and pencils, and taking a photo of what I might be interested in painting later.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, having a lightweight box of essential painting supplies to carry along is sure better for me than being a pack mule trying to bring a heavy French easel, big tubes of paint and a lot of other stuff.

On location color studies are indispensable for references for later bigger paintings. They are good practice too.

Quilt knit said...

How wonderful! Will visit the cigar store asap.

How did you make it to hold the canvas.

Sherrie Roberts

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I added some attachment points in the box and some other features. But I just wind up holding the panel in my hand a lot of the time, just to get at the edges better.

Quilt knit said...

Hi! Diana: I went to the Cigar Store. I have two cigar boxes. The Cigar Store here is a smoking Den! Lots of drink and Cigars. I am treading in again this Sunday.
They had a box that will be wonderful for my Fountain Pens and ink. I will be picking up some hinges etc.
Thanks so much for sharing.

Sherrie Roberts

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Great news, Sherrie! How wonderful to have a source nearby for the boxes.

We don't live anywhere near anything like that, so I usually get the boxes from a guy on eBay, who also sells art supplies. I think his store is called Castlefront. Let me know if anyone needs more info about this.