Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Fires on Hood" Columbia Gorge Plein Air Painting

(left) Original unframed oil, 4.25"x6.25"
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


Here is another fire study of Mt. Hood with interesting smoke shapes, a companion piece to the study I posted yesterday.

The mountain seemed practically engulfed in smoke.

I painted away, concerned but fascinated, and knowing there was nothing I could do about the fires except pray. I thought of friends who are smoke jumpers and wondered if they might be involved in efforts to contain the damage.

6 comments:

suzanneberry said...

powerful diana and so beautifully painted!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Suzanne. It is like a miracle when they actually work.

hmuxo said...

Diana, this is so beautifully painted. Very dramatic.

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful, Diana! As I've said in the past, I just cannot imagine being so artist, creative, being able to do any kind of art.... I have not a touch of talent and I'm very impressed with those that do!

Shelley Whiting said...

This picture is fabulous. I love all the tonal ranges of blue. The clouds are very puffy and smoky. A beautiful and stunning picture.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Hilda, Anonymous, and Shelley: Thank you all for dropping by and giving me your feedback!