Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Plein Air Studies from Gorge Crest Vineyard

Our Sunday paint out location was on the Washington side of the Columbia River at Gorge Crest Vineyard.

This beautiful spot boasted amazing views of Mt. Hood and the valley. The winery was closed to the public that day, and invited artists enjoyed time to paint, tread barefoot on the expansive green lawns, have a picnic, or nap in hammocks under the trees.
I painted this morning scene, above, near my van with the back hatch raised above me to shade me a little while I worked in the hot sun. The smoke from fires on Mt. Hood was getting more noticeable and I debated whether to put that in the painting. The scene seemed so peaceful without it, but I finally decided to record the conditions. 


(left) "Smoke Signals"
Original framed oil, 4"x12"
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


NOW SOLD

Later in the day I managed this long format study of Mt. Hood and the gorge from a different spot at the winery. All the other painters had left and I had the place to myself, except for the kind owners nearby and a few coyotes I could hear singing not far away. I enjoyed painting on the vineyard's porch in the lovely evening light and the previously mentioned kind gifts from a loving Creator.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful... love your delicate colour palette :)

cabinart said...

Wow, Diana, what a stunning place to paint! You are so good at composition - it looks absolutely inviting, pulling me right into the scene.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you both so much for the kudos. Painting en plein air is such a challenge, even after attempting it for several years now. It's always nice when the work actually turns out on the spot!

hmuxo said...

Beautifully painted, Diana. I love those soft colors. I've never painted en plein air but imagine it to be so satisfying. Looks like such a peaceful place!!! Again, great job.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. It is indeed satisfying when the paintings turn out and quite frustrating when they don't and I just feel I've wasted a lot of paint and time.

suzanneberry said...

stunning work diana! what a beautiful place to paint!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It is indeed an amazing place. I hope to get back there one of these days!