Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, October 15, 2012

October Painting Challenge: Adolescence

Welcome back to the Challenge, Suzanne, and thanks for picking our subject this month!

This one is a continuation of sorts of last month's theme. I enjoyed thinking about what adolescence might mean in a symbolic way (and, I admit, stressed over it a bit).

That preteen age is still rather care-free for most kids, but thoughts are taking shape about adulthood. I wanted to show something of that transition in life.

(image above left) "Soothing Break" Oil on hardboard 6"x9" ©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

For my reference I used a photo of my youngest from a few years ago that I'd snapped while he was enjoying some relaxing time in the warm sun and the company of our fuzzy orange cat. I thought he looked like he might be pondering some of life's questions while lying on the ground.

We've all been super busy lately but I'm very glad we've managed to keep up our monthly puzzler. I think everyone's paintings are stellar.

Every one of us has had our own challenges to deal with, so it is especially delightful to me that all of the group was able to come up with a painting for this one. You can see larger images at each artist's blog link.

 (first painting)
"Adolescence"
Oil on canvas
6"x8"
©2012 Suzanne Berry




 
(second painting)

"Tyler the Teenager"
14" x18" Pastel
©2012 Vicki Ross


  
Mark's painting, an early work of his, is impressive for a youngster, and perfect for our theme! 

(third painting)
"Self portrait 1968"
Oil on canvas
27" x 18"
©1968 Mark Adams

12 comments:

mary maxam said...

This is a super challenge and they're all great. I love the pose here and I can feel the grass on the back of this beautifully rendered figure - wow!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary! I'm so glad you dropped in to check on the Challenge this month. We miss you.

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, Your painting is wonderful. So full of thought and quiet caring. Each challenge painting is excellent. It is so good to see Suzanne back with the Challenge. Her paintings are always stunning. The self portrait is so nice too.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm so glad you dropped by, Ruth. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement for all of us. Missing you!

hmuxo said...

Your painting is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, Diana! A wonderful challenge and was especially happy to see Suzanne post her gorgeous painting as well!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda.

It's so good to have Suzanne participating again in our Challenge. I am always inspired by her work!

Susan said...

Hi, Diana, I think your little painting captures the essence of adolescence so beautifully. You have a wonderful blog and I enjoyed seeing your work!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Susan, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog. Happy painting.

suzanneberry said...

this is an amazing painting diana, it's just beautiful and answers the challenge in such a spectacular way. i can feel the warm sun on my face. and thank you too for your kindness and patience as i'm slowly finding my way.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Suzanne, THANK YOU for the kind kudos for my painting. I'm not sure I'm finished with it yet. Seems like I have a lot of unfinished stuff in my studio right now!

I'm SO glad you are back to our Challenge, dear Lady. We have missed you very much. I'm looking forward to seeing what you paint next.

Shirley Fachilla said...

Your painting so captures my own bittersweet memories of adolescence. Wonderful work.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That's fun to know, Shirley. Happy painting!