Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Marble on Granite" Small Still Life Daily Painting

Original oil, 6" x4"
in Museum style frame
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


Marbles are fascinating microcosms, aren't they? I watched this one being made at a craft fair although I couldn't see how wonderful it was until it had cooled and I had it in my hand and then held it up to the light. What a beautiful little world is inside this small bit of glass.

After our Challenge this week, I determined I would paint some more black backgrounds to learn additional thoughts about contrast and simplicity, and whatever else came to mind.

I enjoyed the challenge of this unusual and simple subject, and tried to capture the subtlety of the colors, the contrasts, reflections, and that backlit glow. The blue and green orb seems surreal in such a stark setting against the black granite, like a transparent planet in space.

This was not a painting to rush through. I worked on it in several painting sessions for three days, so it's not really a daily painting at all.

4 comments:

suzanneberry said...

beautifully done diana!!! i love this! the light in the marble is incredible!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Suzanne. I had to get this detailed piece out of my system before I start on our next Challenge. I'm thinking and really scared!

mary maxam said...

A beautiful world within a world. The variety of blues and swirls really catches the eye.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad the piece does that, Mary. Thank you for dropping by!