Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Painting Challenge: Black Background

Group member Ruth Andre chose our Challenge this month. She instructed us to paint an image with a black background.

Although I've done that with simple subjects such as
the striped sock Challenge last year, I welcomed this little push to do something more complicated.

I figured that painting the reflections in this still life would offer a chance for more experimentation and perhaps produce a few unexpected results for added fun. 

The black background offered the perfect contrast to show off this plastic container of gold wrapped chocolates and those interesting mirrored images.

(above) "Sweet Reflections" Original oil, 4"x6"

in gold frame ©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

I love the dramatic paintings everyone did for this Challenge. Each member of the group took a different approach to this puzzler, which is part of what makes the Challenge so interesting to all of us, month after month. I hope it does for you too.

Here are the March paintings from the rest of my Challenge Group.


(left) "Blue and Pink" Pastel, 9"x12" ©2011 Vicki Ross

(right) "Glass Artists" Oil on clayboard, 5"x7" ©2011 Robin Cheers

(left below) "Megan Noir" Oil on canvas, 4"x6" ©2011 Ruth Andre

(right below) “Not So Crystal Ball” Oil on canvas, 20"x24” Sharman Owens 

(bottom) "Sunny Side Up" Oil on board, 16"x20" ©2011 Suzanne Berry

8 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Diana, you amaze me with your realism on such a small surface! Do your brushes have 1 hair or 2 :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha, Vicki! Thanks. Actually, most of this was painted with a number 8 sable filbert. The one I use is about a quarter inch wide. Finer lines and other such needs called for a 4 and a 2.

Ruth Andre said...

Diana I think your painting is just gorgeous and you took the Challenge on with a gusto. Great work. There is so much detail and the reflections are lovely.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Ruth, thank you. I'm so glad you requested this for our March Challenge. I love what everyone painted.

I, for one, am thinking of painting a few more pieces with black backgrounds!

suzanneberry said...

diana, the warm, cool gold foil, the shadows, the highlights, this is amazing! especially at this size you work, just stunning! another masterpiece!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It IS a bit crazy to put all that into something so small!

By contrast I am also amazed at your own piece this month, especially knowing how quickly you painted it.

hmuxo said...

Diana, this is such a beautiful piece. I'm amazed how the foil came out..so beautifully detailed. Great job.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. That foil was very interesting to paint. It took a few passes to get it to look like I wanted.