Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, February 4, 2013

"Arm Stretch" Charcoal Study

Charcoal/chalk on cotton paper 10”x13.5”  unframed
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

The challenge of creating 30 pieces in 30 days during January kept me busy, and as my dad is fond of saying, "out of the pool halls".

In that daily focus I left some chores undone that I'm now catching up on a bit.

I also still have a few sketches I did at the end of 2012 that didn't get posted. Here's one of them. I'll try to get more of them up for you to see this week.

8 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Your charcoal drawing are da bomb. Each one is a joy!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Drawing helps me in so many ways, Celeste. It is what I've been doing the longest... since I was a little kid.

It's like coming home after weary travels, and comfort food, and a warm fire on a cold night. Thank you for making me smile this evening. I appreciate your kind kudos very much!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

This is another lovely piece. I understand what you mean about having to catch up after the Challenge.
I laughed and enjoyed your "pool hall" quote.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Glad you liked that, Julie. Pool halls are not as common as they used to be, I 'spose, nor as criticized.

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia Billiard Hall article, "In North America in the 1950s and 1960s especially, pool halls in particular were perceived as a social ill by many, and laws were passed in many jurisdictions to set age limits at pool halls and restrict gambling and the sale of alcohol."

Nowadays, parents might actually prefer that teens go play pool in a social setting rather than spend alone time on the computer.

Crystal Cook said...

I love this Diana. Your drawings, no matter what the pose, are so dynamic. This one is especially. And I completely agree with your comment about drawing feeling like coming home. :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate that, Crystal. I've been thinking a lot lately about dynamic poses and wanting to make further use of them in my work. It's good to get input from other artists whose work I respect.

Trine said...

Love it - very interesting pose

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Trine. Coming up with interesting or unique poses gets more challenging the more I do it. Sometimes I think, "Are there any more left to do?" And then I see one!