Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Grasshopper" Charcoal Study

Charcoal/chalk on cotton paper
9”x13”  unframed
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

The focus I was most interested in for this arm study was the slight sinking in of her hand on her lower back. I thought it was an interesting contrast with her muscular arms and her ribs showing a little, plus that look in her eye. The bend of her near arm reminds me of a grasshopper.

Do you remember the old Kung Fu television series from the 1970s and the young character's nickname?

9 comments:

mary maxam said...

Great structure shown here. You really got the physicality of this down perfectly!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

FABULOUS! You nailed it!

pattrsnd said...

Wonderful work, Diana...love your figurative work!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, All, for stopping by to tell me your encouraging words. It means a lot to me.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful. My favorite part is how the flesh dips in from the pressure of her hand and the cast shadow.
You are so good.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Julie. That sinking in was my favorite too.

Trine said...

It is such a joy following your nudes. Wonderful pose.

Connie Chadwell said...

Beautiful job, Diana, and not an easy pose to capture, either. Wonderfully done!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Trine and Connie, thanks so much for dropping by!