Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, February 22, 2013

"Muse" Original Oil Painting

Oil on Raymar canvas panel
8"x10” unframed
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

This is one of the paintings I've been working on. You may remember the charcoal sketch of this lovely model from my January 30/30 Challenge post.

Chiaroscuro is always interesting to me and I especially like this simple pose with the dramatic highlights and deep darks. The subtleties in this piece have not photographed well but you can perhaps get an idea of what it looks like. The original is much nicer (which is usually the case with what you see online vs. the actual art).

8 comments:

mary maxam said...

The light follows form here so perfectly. It makes me wonder about the model's thoughts and draws me in.

Ruth Andre said...

Mary said it all very well. The thumbnail image caught my eye. I wanted to see more. It is a beautiful painting.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I agree with Mary about the light.
This is beautiful.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Mary, the model muses over something, to be sure. I wonder too. The title has a double meaning, as her pose suggests she is thinking and she is an inspiration, herself.

Ruth, that encourages me that the thumbnail got your attention. I think that says a lot about a piece when a postage stamp size image draws one in.

Julie, thank you! I appreciate your continued encouragement very much.

hmuxo said...

I'm so glad I returned to this painting, Diana! I commented on "Muse" but apparently it didn't post. It happened a few times with other blogs and now its been okay..anyway, Chiaroscuro is very interesting to me as well because the darkness on one side is always so dramatic .. it reminds me of the old masters..this is absolutely beautiful!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

The Old Masters are such an inspiration. I'm very flattered, Hilda, and appreciate you dropping by.

Connie Chadwell said...

This painting is so beautifully and sensitively done - really lovely!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Connie. I'm pleased with this one and happy others connect with it, too.