Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, February 15, 2013

February Painting Challenge: Hat

I picked our Challenge subject for February.

Originally, I had the idea to finish a large painting I have in a corner of my studio which features a hat. I had set that piece aside some time ago (several years, now) because it had problems.

I still need to work out the kinks in the painting and decided not put myself on a deadline to figure it out.

Thankfully, our Challenge subject presented several other ideas to my mind.

This is a quick oil sketch. Quick for me, anyway. I've been wanting to loosen up, use thicker paint, and not labor over it too much. So, here's a stab at that.

(above) "Sound in the Ravine" Oil sketch 12"x9" ©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

I took about a hundred reference photos trying to find something interesting and different for this Challenge. My son posed.

I liked the somewhat timeless look of his costume. This painting could be of a young man a hundred years ago. Indeed, the wild places in our area are relatively unchanged from a century ago. I am quite thankful, though, for some modern conveniences, including electricity and the internet.

Here is Vicki's painting for our Challenge this month, which I love. (I am "Mimi" to my little grandgirls, too.)

(left)
"Mimi in the Red Hat" 
12x6" Oil on panel
©2013 V.N.Ross

Suzanne promises to join us again next month in March. We sure miss her!

I am still looking for one or two more artists to be a part of the Challenge group. If you think you'd like to commit, jot me an email with a link to your blog and I'll take a look at your work to see if you'd be a good fit.

Each one in our group takes a turn as the months go by, picking the puzzler. Then we each post everyone's work on our blogs on the 15th. You can see all the Challenges at my sidebar. If you would like to apply to our little merry band, please contact me with your blog link and email. I would love to see your work and share with you what the Challenge entails.

12 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Sound in the Ravine is great! He really looks like he just "heard" something. Beautiful rich colors in the Ravine..nice contrast. Bravo!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much for the feedback, Celeste. I'm glad it reads well!

mary maxam said...

I think this has that timeless look to and great hat! Also like the mid-motion pose. Gives it the feel of wanting to know more about the story.

Ruth Andre said...

Fun challenge and it must feel so good to get this painting back on the easel and have it finished. You caught the action.

hmuxo said...

LOVE "Sound in the Ravine" ...Love the hat!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Ruth, this one is new. It was a different older piece I had originally considered finishing for this Challenge. I plan to get back to it in the coming months, though.

Hilda, thank you!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

This captures the universal appeal of the peace and quiet of a fisherman - (until the excitement and energy of the catch.)
Love this painting.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That's an interesting viewpoint, Julie! I was thinking the young man is more on guard than on the hunt but I like your take on it.

This reminds me of a quote.

"The artist gazes upon a reality and creates his own impression. The viewer gazes upon the impression and creates his own reality." ~Robert Brault

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I like the Brault quote.I chose to ignore the gun and holster because of recent events and respond to the timeless quality of the man.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I understand your sentiment, Julie. My character carries the pistol as self-defense against the wild animals. Depending on where and in what era this fellow might be walking, those dangers could be anything from hungry wolves or cougar to a charging bear. I assure you this man is a responsible gun owner.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Two of our children are responsible gun owners so I appreciate you taking the time to point out the self defense aspect especially with wild animals.
Neat!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

One of my choicest memories is from a road trip in the early 1980s. We were driving through Arizona on back roads and stopped at a little cafe at a juncture. Local color was abundant.

My favorite character from that moment in time was a grey haired wiry gal in khakis and boots. She wore a six-shooter in a holster on her hip for rattlesnakes.