Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, January 9, 2012

My Challenge Group: Changed, but Alive and Well!

This little painting at left was my first Challenge painting from 3 years ago and also the first time I'd portrayed those playful little toy figures. It got me thinking about how the figures could illustrate painting themes to make a statement. I continued exploring ways to use them for ideas in 2009, both for my Challenge paintings and other work.

For 2012, The Moses Botkin Challenge continues! We will be painting new subjects and ideas month after month. Membership has changed from the first artists I invited to join me three years ago for that first Challenge. Now, Vicki and I are the only ones left from my original group.


However, as new artists committed and (sadly) others had to bow out, our monthly puzzlers have continued to challenge and inspire us. With each new personality contributed to the group, our adventures have expanded.

For those of you who have only recently starting following this blog, here's the scoop. The Challenge happens 12 times a year. Every month, each artist in the group emails their image to all the other members. Although we've all known for at least a couple of weeks what the Challenge subject is, we do not see each others' paintings until the email release. The day we receive each other's art in our Inboxes is delightful and surprising. I often think, when I see the others' paintings, "Now why didn't I think of that?"

Then we post them all at our blogs on the 15th of the month for the rest of the world to see! That is really fun too, and we all enjoy reading comments from other bloggers who've been watching for The Challenge.

For 2012, we've lost a couple of members, but
I'm very pleased to announce two new additions to the group. Mary Maxam and Becky Joy have agreed to join The Moses Botkin Challenge.

I've enjoyed seeing Mary's and Becky's beautiful paintings online for some time and was delighted to meet each of them in person last spring at the Oil Painters of America gathering in Coeur d'Alene. If you haven't yet visited Mary's blog, or Becky's blog, you are in for a treat. Their work is always inspiring.

Please keep watch here for our January 2012 Challenge in a few days!

2 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

I have people, artists and non-artists, who tell me they really enjoy the 15th of every month to see how our group interprets a word, phrase or theme so differently! I don't think we've ever had two paintings match...except for the month our challenge was using a provided grey-scale photo

Diana Moses Botkin said...

You're so right, Vicki. It is one of the most enjoyable aspects of doing The Challenge together: seeing how each member interprets the subject. It's like Christmas when we all send our paintings to each other to show what we've done!