Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Newest Article in Professional Artist Magazine

The June/July issue of Professional Artist Magazine is out now. My most recent piece is on pages 62 - 65. It tells how inspiration and practice can be found participating in open studios with live models. I touch on materials to use, the challenges of working from life, plus common practices and guidelines at open studio sessions.

Open studios is a good opportunity to draw and paint from live models, nude or costumed. As you've likely guessed from this blog, I am a big fan of working from life, for figurative work and other genres.

I interviewed several respected artists for the article. They graciously sent me photos and quotes. Morgan Weistling, William Whittaker, Sherrie McGraw, Mary Qian, and Yer Za Vue each comment on how open studios have helped and inspired them. Additionally, Za shares about the challenges of running open studio sessions. There are also suggestions on how to find open studio sessions in your locale.

If you are not a subscriber to the magazine, you can buy a copy of the digital issue here.

8 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Congratula I must say - it looks very impressive

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much, Julie!

hmuxo said...

Congratulations Diana!! SO deserving. I go to live drawing classes every Friday and I do love it ...however, I don't do well at all. I think its because the people are all established and have their place close to the model....I have to take photos so I can see their features clearly.
I won't give up!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate that, Hilda. Thank you for your kind words.

I hope you can find a better spot at the model sessions. That's good you're sticking with it. You WILL do better with practice!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Yay! Will pick an issue up this weekend, can't wait to read your article!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I hope you enjoy the piece. I would enjoy hearing your own thoughts on painting the model from life, Diane.

mary maxam said...

this sounds fabulous! I'll be a buyer

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Wonderful, Mary. Please let me know how you like it!