Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Columbia Gorge Plein Air Paintings

(first painting)"Morning Sails” Oil 8"x10" ©2012 Diana Moses Botkin  SOLD 
(second painting) “Evening Garden View” Oil 8"x10" ©2012 Diana Moses Botkin SOLD



(third painting) “Evening Highlights” Oil 7.5"x13"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin




SOLD

The town of Hood River, about an hour east of Portland, sits on the Columbia River in the gorge. The area is full of amazing views. Mt. Hood is always inspiring and this year at the paint out I was especially pleased to have an evening panorama of the mountain for my wide format painting "Evening Highlights" above. Another artist and I stayed at that particular location for the evening light (my favorite to try to capture). I'm willing to forgo supper and keep painting for a view like this, even after working hard all day. 

Last year was my first time participating in this plein air event and I enjoyed it so much I applied again for 2012. I was very encouraged to win the Best River award this year for my painting of "Morning Sails". Please contact me if you are interested in these paintings.

(left) “Glowing Hill” Oil 5"x7"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

These paintings are all so beautiful, Diana. After looking at the panoramic view in "Evening Highlights"..it truly makes me want to visit Mt.Hood. Beautifully done. I can see why you enjoyed painting plein aire.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. The paint out in the Columbia Gorge is now truly my favorite plein air event.

I've enjoyed all the ones in which I've participated, but the Gorge has such an interesting array of scenes and the hot weather for the event is just what I love (except for those cold mornings).