Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Longer Poses Figure Studies in Charcoal and Chalk

The longer poses at our Artist Salon Open Studio give an opportunity to be a little more careful and develop some detail. By "longer" I mean about 20 minutes rather than the warm-up poses of 3 or 5 minutes.

One still must draw fairly quickly and simply, and concentrate on developing enough shadows and highlights to show the form. Charcoal and chalk work well for this; the charcoal being used for the darks and the chalk for the highlights. Drawn on a medium toned paper, it's enough variety to portray what's happening with the form.

©2010 Diana Moses Botkin


A version of the drawing on the right can be ordered as reproductions in several sizes at this page.



6 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A very nice back study, Diana.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Bill. I like that one too. This model, even though quite petite, has an especially muscular body because she does physical labor. One of her hobbies is processing deer hides naturally, working the leather by hand.

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana, I'm enjoying your figure studies. Especially like the compositions of these two.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate you saying so, Silvina. Sometimes it's tricky enough simply to get the form and proportions drawn accurately in a specific time for a pose with a live model.

Then to get an interesting composition with little time to plan seems like quite a coup!

Maybe it's only a small victory, but I'll take it.

Unknown said...

This last study is especially lovely, Diana. The whole composition is really appealing. Looks like alot more work than just 20 minutes!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Deb, I think you're right. I did touch these up a little afterwards.

I sometimes do that to clean up edges, bump up contrast or simply add a little more definition.

Not always, though.