Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Our March Painting Challenge: Favorite Treat

Challenge Group member Michael Naples chose this month's subject, which was indeed a head scratcher for me.

I have a lot of favorite treats! Choosing just one to portray wasn't easy.


Besides, I've already painted a few of my favorites in the past.


Another thing I had to consider: most of the treats I really enjoy are not something I can get at the store in our little town, so I knew I'd have to take time to bake something before I could do a painting of it.

It was worth it, though. I usually only make pecan pie for holidays, so having a fresh pie in our small household was indeed a treat. (It disappeared surprisingly fast!) I must say, those pecans on the top of the pie were quite a challenge to paint without getting too fussy.

(left) "Tasty Treat" Oil on hardboard 5"x5"
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin
The rest of the Challenge Group's paintings are an inspiration...and make my mouth water! Everyone's work this month is so much fun.

(left below) "Marble Frosted" Oil on Board 8"x8" ©2010 Michael Naples(middle below) "Chocolate Cordial Cherries" Oil on panel 4x4" ©2010 Jeanne Illenye
(right below) "The Usual Suspects" Oil on canvas 24x24" ©2010 Suzanne Berry






(left above) "My Treat" Oil on panel 6x8" ©2010 Robin Cheers
(right above) "One a Day" Oil on hardboard 4"x7" ©2010 Vicki Ross

Our Challenge Group is getting smaller these days. Two members have had to drop out for now to take care of family. We're already missing Silvina Day and Marie Fox in our monthly participation, but family is the most important.

6 comments:

jyothisethu said...

diana,
all these are mouth watering and heart filling recipes...
the original texture and color are captured as it is...
fantastic...
congrats to other artists and you...

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Sethu. Each of us in my Challenge Group had fun with this subject, especially after we were finished painting and got to eat the still life!

suzanneberry said...

LOVE your pie, it's scrumptous and himself's favorite! Another beautiful painting.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Too bad I can't email you and himself a couple of pieces of pecan pie!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

The pie looks good and I bet it tasted good as well. It would be inspiration to paint faster so you could get to the eating part.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Exactly!

I did try to paint this maybe a little faster than I would have if the subject had been something like clocks or marbles.