Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Stretch and a Challenge for a Figure Study

Fifteen minutes is a long time to hold a natural looking pose. Actually, being in one position for only a minute can be a challenge if there is twisting or turning involved. Try it yourself sometime if you don't believe me.

I especially like the posture on the left. At our recent figure drawing Open Studio, our model was finished with one pose and was stretching a bit. I noticed the line of her action and asked her if she could possibly hold that awhile as a pose. 

Lauren is an experienced model for our artists' salon and knows what her body can or cannot do for a certain length of time. She liked the spontaneous challenge and thought she could stay like that for at least a few minutes. At about 15 minutes she told us that's all folks. It was enough to get the pose mapped out and studied. I think this is one of my very favorite drawings from the past few months. I hope you like it too. 

©2010 Diana Moses Botkin

4 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Great pose...and your rendering of it is fabulous! Wish you lived close, we have a number of the core MyArtTutor group here this week. Kippy from France, Ann Templeton from Texas, Ron Klein from Michigan, a small focus group of local artist/students. Full report next week.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for dropping by Vicki! The gathering would indeed be fun. I can't wait to hear more.

pattrsnd said...

I love the one on the left Diana...beautifully done!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Great minds think alike David... haha.

Funny you should leave your remark at just the moment I left my thoughts at your blog about B&W photography.

I think one of the reasons I am enjoying drawing so much these days is the "black and white"-ness of the medium. Simplicity is what I'm needing these days.