Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Scotchman Peaks Paint Out 2014

The knats and flies are swarming these days in our neck of the woods. This makes for misery when painting outdoors... not as bad as mosquitoes biting, but annoying none the less. Crazy making if they're really active: bugs in the eyes, ears and nose and flying into one's clothing and into wet paint. Ah the joys of plein air painting.

This past weekend was the annual paint out for Scotchman Peaks Wilderness. It was a Saturday one day event this year, although some participants started the night before.

(left) "Pink and Green" oil 6"x8"
©2014 Diana Moses Botkin
SOLD

Evening paintings are really my favorite for plein air, so Friday evening I headed to a spot I love to capture what I thought might be a good sunset. Even though I was pretty much painting in the dark at the end, the piece turned out to be satisfying, even in the light of day next morning.

Early Saturday I downed some coffee after sleeping (sort of) in my van and headed out from my camp spot to see what the light was like on the lake. Those evil bugs kept me company as I worked on a study of the Monarchs in the early light by Lake Pend d'Oreille. Early and late light changes pretty fast, so I snapped a few photos to finish the piece later.

My middle of the day painting wound up being scraped off. I'm trying to use more paint in my work, but sometimes it gets me into trouble and this was one of those pieces that just got  worse the more paint I put on. No big deal... it's just some wasted paint and time. Even though I had the bugs for company I did get some sun while I worked, so that was something.

(left) "Fall at the Creek"
oil 5"x7"
©2014 Diana Moses Botkin
SOLD 

I managed a little study at the last minute of a distant scene I'd had my eye on while I was working on the failed one. That one, and my evening painting from the night before, would suffice for taking to the gallery (Outskirts in Hope, Idaho) for the show. I wouldn't be in the competition this year anyway, as I was the judge, having won first place last year.

Judging, as is usually the case, was a challenge. There were quite a few really lovely paintings. Of course we all have our prejudices. It was fun to be able to pick my favorites for the prizes. I wish I had a link to the winners. Maybe soon they'll post something on facebook so I can show them to you.

2 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

These are beautiful paintings and worth all the bugs etc . Thanks for sharing about the difficulties - something we all need to be reminded of - that it is normal when it happens to us.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Isn't it wonderful when it's worth it!? I know it doesn't always work out for a painting but when it does, it is certainly satisfying.