Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, February 15, 2010

February Painting Challenge: Striped Socks!

This month I picked "Striped socks" for our subject.

One of the goals for the Challenge is to have fun and I think we definitely accomplished that.



(left)
"Two Step"
5"x7" Oil on hardboard
©2010
Diana Moses Botkin

NOW SOLD

As with most of our chosen Challenge subjects, there are a variety of ideas that get sorted through. This is the one that finally suggested itself to me, even though I had several previous plans.


I hope you enjoy this piece as much as I enjoyed painting it!

And I love all the paintings this month, don't you?

So many clever and fun ideas that suggest even more ideas for striped sock paintings.
Maybe we'll do some more!

(left) "Pink Glow"
10"x10"
Oil on panel
©2010 Robin Cheers

(right above) "Cozy Knits" 5"x5" Oil on panel ©2010 Jeanne Illenye
(left below) "Sockdance" 24" x 24" Oil on canvas ©2010
Suzanne Berry (right below) "Sock Puppets" 8"x8" Oil on Board ©2010 Michael Naples



(left)
"Socks First"
24"x18"

Oil on canvas
©2010

Marie Fox

(right)
"Liam in Striped Footies"
12"x18"

Oil on panel
©2010

Vicki Ross


10 comments:

Marie Fox said...

Diana - I just love your interpretation of the subject of socks. Not mismatched socks, but two friends sharing sock-time, and a bit of tickling, perhaps. Great colors too.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

I do like your socks. So well done. I guess you used other members of the family to pose.

Judy Rogers said...

Diana, I particularly liked your selection of color and light in this nude sock painting. Simply lovely.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Marie: Thanks so much for your insights on this. I really like reading what you see in the image!

Bill: Yes, I imposed on my son and a friend to pose for me. She just happened to be wearing striped socks this weekend! We thought this one looked like dancing and I really liked the simplicity of the composition and the yin-yang of the two feet.

Judy: That's Marie Fox's nude painting... which I love too!

Dyanne Parker, Artist said...

Love the socks! Great challenge and love the two step. Looking forward to seeing the results each month. God Bless, Dyanne Parker

pattrsnd said...

Very cool Diana...I love these!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Dyanne: Thank you for dropping by my blog! I'm pleased to make your acquaintance (and enjoyed seeing your handiwork too!).

David: You are such a faithful friend to check out my blog and see what I've been painting!

David Larson Evans said...

You have many very nice works here.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, David. I'm looking forward to trying some more striped stuff soon!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

terrific interpretations of the sock challenge.