Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, January 5, 2009

"Shell on Gold Paper" Daily Painting

Original unframed oil painting, 4"x6".
Still life study of shell on crumpled gold tissue paper.
©2009 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

This was more difficult than I thought it would be.

I've never painted a shell before and I thought I'd try portraying the paper again. Recently, I did "Glass Ball and Gold Paper" and found the paper especially interesting.

The forms in the paper can get complicated. The hills and valleys are all quite random. It's sometimes tricky to keep track of where I am when I'm studying it!

7 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A lovely job on that shell you little fence post yanker.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Bill. The shell was actually a fun challenge. It was interesting to mix the subtle hues for the different colors and patterns.

That paper, on the other hand, was darn difficult. Like with painting certain flowers, making anything other than a vague impression of the right color was impossible.

I'm going to have to try the paper again sometime when I'm feeling brave and see if I can find the right mixes. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised next time I attempt the challenge.

VickiRossArt said...

Wonderful, Diana...saw it earlier today while I was painting AND we were exchanging emails off and on all day. You give me inspiration!

Mary Bullock said...

Great job with the gold paper - what colors did you use? Gold is such a hard color to depict.
Mary,
The Figurative Realm of Mary Bullock

Mary Bullock said...

You did a great job on the gold papter. Gold is such a hard color to paint. What did you colors did you mix?
Mary
The Figurative Realm of Mary Bullock

Jelaine Faunce said...

Great job capturing the subtle iridescence of the shell. Shell's are tough! I fear them as subject matter. LOL!

Also, sorry about all that snow! Stay warm.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you all! I used several yellows with added greens and reds too for the "gold" reflections and shadows.

Jelaine, the shell was quite interesting. You'll do fine, I'm sure!