Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Musings

With the passage of the old year and the arrival of a new one naturally comes some self evaluation for most of us.

Rather than make New Year's resolutions, I'm more prone to ask New Year's questions. Among the important examinations are queries about personal and family issues... and naturally I've been thinking a lot about my art.

For several years I've had as my goal to do a daily painting. I started this Painting a Day blog in 2005. Each successive year I've come closer to my goal of actually making a complete work of art every weekday. In 2009, I made close to 300 new original paintings and drawings.

It's been fun, frustrating, frightening, fatiguing, and has also provided opportunity for growth and change, and some sales to boot.

So... tell me what you think... send me your comments by January 5.


Should I keep doing the Daily Paintings? Or concentrate more on commissions and larger work? And WHAT should I paint? Or should I concentrate more on getting back to drawing or return to sculpture?

Now.... I'm going to do what I think is best but I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm hoping this little jam session will be fun for all of us!

If you could stand over my shoulder and tell me what to make, what would you like to see?

6 comments:

Candy Barr said...

Good questions Diane. I'm hoping to paint larger myself this winter, and not sure about the small ones. Is it possible to paint small ones one day, and schedule to post them throughout the week, thereby freeing up the rest of the week to paint larger or sculpt?
Good luck with decision!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I've been doing that some and it's certainly one way to keep up with the dailies. Big pieces can become all-consuming, though, and finding energy and time to switch to the little 'uns is a challenge for me.

But I DO like challenges! Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Jana Botkin said...

Seems to me the first question you need to answer is "Why am I making art?" If it is for personal enjoyment, simply do what makes you feel the happiest. If it is for financial gain, do what sells best! Of course, we always hope the two coincide, or perhaps that we will have time for a little of each. . . so many questions, so few answers!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

So true, Jana. Except for the commissions, most of what I do falls into the category of inspiration. Something inspired me and I had to paint it.

I'll continue to make art whether there are any buyers or not. Sometimes I take breaks from painting but I'm happiest when I'm working.

David said...

Are you retired?

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha... very funny, Mr. Darrow.