Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Recent Gesture Drawings

Three minutes is not long to capture a pose, but it's enough to block in shapes and gesture. This is how I start a drawing and for longer poses I use the added time to develop definition and detail.

Actually three minutes seems like a long time to put something down if you've ever tried doing 30 second warm-ups!

These quick studies are drawn in charcoal on 18"x12" grey paper. Please contact me for more information or to purchase.

©2009 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

Dar Presto said...

3 minutes?! Wow. Such skillful observation. They all have an accurate sense of tension, weight-bearing, etc. I'm particularly taken with Leaning on Arms, and the perfect foreshortening of Outstretched. I've never done life drawing. I'm intimidated by the thought of it :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Working from the figure is fairly challenging, especially if you've not drawn simpler shapes to build skills.

However, once you're familiar with the principles, sketching from a live model has numerous advantages. It builds observation skills and informs other work not even related to the figure.

Drawing or painting almost anything from life is far more useful than using photos, except for the limitations of changing light when working plein air, and the need for live models to move.

Still life solves these problems quite handily. Set up some objects under an electric light source and you can work as long as you like without the subject moving or the light changing!