Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

State of the Art, 2013

(left) "New Place"
Oil, 24"x18"
 
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin
 
Although I started off this year with a challenge to myself of doing a new piece every day for a month, I've been focusing more on larger paintings part of this past year.


If you've followed my blog you know that during the past few years I've worked steadily toward the daily painting goal. I started in 2004 and created 104 new works, which was over twice what I had painted the year before.

I discovered the joys and practicalities of painting small to get more practice in portraying a wide variety of subjects.

In 2005 I also did 104 pieces and began blogging about my efforts. In 2006 I progressed somewhat to 126 paintings. 

(left) "Illumination"
Oil, 12"x16"
 
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

In 2007, there were 165 pieces. In 2008, 179 new works.

2009 was my most productive year with 265 pieces. That amounted to a painting or drawing  every day with weekends off.

In 2010 the number dropped to 236. 2011 saw 139 new works. In 2012 I created 104 pieces. This past year I managed 110.


All those smaller paintings and drawings helped develop my skills. However, for some time I've felt that, rather than trying to complete something (anything!) every day, I should work toward developing larger works with more thought behind them and greater visual impact. 

(right) "Light Read" Oil, 20"x16" 
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

The three paintings shown here are new larger pieces I've created during the past few months. I haven't shown them before, either here on this blog, or in a show. Please contact me if you would like price information on any of these originals.

10 comments:

Helen K Beacham Fine Art said...

Congratulations on your painting accomplishments! It really puts it all into perspective when you share statistics like that, Diana. It's evident you're passionate about your art!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Helen, thank you for your good reminder and kind words. I appreciate your observations very much. Wishing you happy painting and much success in 2014!

Susan said...

Wow, Diana - these 4 large format works are just breathtaking. You are so very talented!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for your encouragement, Susan. That means a lot to me.

Wishing you and yours blessings in 2014!

mary maxam said...

These are so beautiful and I know you make great strides in painting and drawing every year. Happy Painting and New Year Diana!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate your generous comments very much, Mary. Blest wishes to you and yours for 2014!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow, wow, wow: The bigger pces pack a serious punch. I hear ya about wanting to "dig deeper" with bigger work too. These are sooo lovely. ( think Illumination is my fave) Heh, like to hear your numbers too... Happy New Year!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I love knowing that, Diane. Thanks for the feedback.

Wishing you and yours a good year!

hmuxo said...

Oh Diana..I have missed so much! These are all so beautiful!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Hilda. I appreciate you dropping by to see what I've been up to lately. Happy painting to you in 2014!