Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, August 17, 2012

To Be or Not to Be... a Daily Painter

One of my blogging friends, Mark Adams, who also happens to be a member of my monthly Challenge group, wrote recently about daily painting and the thorny issues that accompany the goal of painting a new one every day.

I left a comment that I totally identify. I confessed that my dailies have fallen off too, and I've come to realize that I can't keep trying to come up with little masterpieces almost every day.

I have never reached my goal of 365 paintings in a year since I've been attempting this. It is an admirable goal, though, still.

2004 was the first year I tried daily painting. I managed to paint 104 pieces that year, most of which were a lot smaller than what I'd been doing previously. The number of completed pieces rose during the next few years, peaking in 2010 at 236. Last year and this year, I've worked more slowly and with more deliberation. I've purposely painted some larger oils, and commissions. There is simply no way I can do work like that in one day.

Be that as it may, rest assured I'll still continue to do the little 'uns and show them here at my blog for several reasons, along with some larger pieces with more thought and effort behind them. If my labors do not produce something new (and complete) every single day, then so be it.

11 comments:

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

When I started painting 4 years ago, I was inspired and daunted by the term "daily painting" and often felt like a failure for not measuring up to that standard. Then I changed the definition to "painting daily" and that became more manageable. I still don't achieve my goal of painting daily--and often it takes several days of painting just to complete one painting--but it is a goal. Your blog and so many of the other daily painting blogs have inspired me, enlightened me, taught me, and compelled me me onward. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Student Service said...

I've had some lively discussions with my mentors about the daily painting 'fad'. I can't speak for anyone else, but my focus had to be on slowing down, not speeding up. Yes, I like to do a painting in one session...but find I learn more when i deliberate...take time to let a painting rest out of sight for awhile...I think the deliberation will make any quick paintings more substantial in the future. Hope so, anyway!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Sarah, THANK YOU also for sharing your thoughts: very encouraging!

Vicki, I'm not painting most pieces faster, either. Sketches and plein air studies are by nature usually quicker, and those can be fun and lovely.

mary maxam said...

Yes, I think we need to allow the 'daily painting' moniker to be what we need it to be and be flexible with it. The challenge of it has moved me forward greatly, but 'it's not the boss of me' :) Thanks for this thoughtful post!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary. I like that "not the boss of me" reference. I'll stand with hands on hips and tell those dailies just that. Maybe stomp my foot too.

Diane Hoeptner said...

I hear ya, Diana! I have been (slowly) transitioning to larger, slower works. I believe you will always make great paintings, even if they aren't one a day!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for that vote of confidence, Diane! I'm looking forward to developing some of the ideas that have been jiggeting about in my head for awhile.

Sunny said...

Hello Diane, I am a new follower, and I really appreciate this liberating post. Painting to "make time" never works for me. although I am involved in my art work almost every single day, I find it stressful to try to produce one small painting a day just to meet a time-frame. Thanks for posting this.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for the feedback, Sunny. I appreciate knowing you found this post helpful. (BTW, I am Diana, with an "a".)

Brad Miedema said...

Great post, Diana! Daily painting has had a huge impact on me as an artist. I learned so much and have become a much better artist by doing it and learning from others.

I too have changed my thinking on daily painting. I like to think of it as painting everyday, not finishing a painting every day. Even if its only a half hour or an hour. This routine keeps me going and improving my art.

Another way that I have learned and developed my skills aside from creating a blog and painting everyday is being the friend of so many talented artists on facebook. I am overwhelmed by the amazing art I view everyday.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I feel the same way, Brad. It is truly inspiring to see all the beautiful work being created by fellow artists.