Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

"Giant" Plein Air Oil Study Daily Painting

Original oil 9"x5"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

Every summer my husband and I host a plein air paint out and pot luck in July for our local art group. This year marks our sixth annual event. Last year I painted this same tree on a 10"x8" panel. I see this tall noble fir almost every day and especially like to watch the light on it in the late afternoon. In the winter when it snows it looks like a beautiful Christmas tree.

For this year's paint out, I grabbed a smallish, longish piece of textured mat board that I'd primed for oil sketching and painted this before the light ran out. I think this sketch makes the fifth painting I've done of this graceful tree. It may be my favorite so far.

5 comments:

mary maxam said...

What a great idea to re-visit the same subject- and with beautiful results each time. I really like both views and the volume you caught in the boughs.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary. I think I've learned something new with each study of this same subject, even at about the same time of day.

hmuxo said...

This painting is beautiful, Diana. Very realistic.!!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Oh, those greens are so very lush!! Love it.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Hilda and Diane, Thank you each for dropping by. Your comments are much appreciated!