Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Portrait Studies of The Long Rider

"Long Rider" oil sketch, 12"x9"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin


At the garden show last weekend I noticed an older gentleman. It was his stark blue eyes contrasted with his very brown skin which arrested my attention.

I asked him if was an artist and he told me he was a long rider. I suppose I gave him a blank look. He smiled and handed me a sheet of paper that explained why he was riding horses across country "to raise awareness of children's hunger in the world".

I told him I'd like to paint him, so later he strolled by my booth and took a seat while the music played
"Cheek to Cheek" from the stage nearby. He sang along at one point: "I'm in heaven", which made me smile.

After about 20 minutes he said he had to leave, so I thanked him for being a good model and took a few snapshots, thinking I'd finish up the sketch later.

Looking at the oil sketch, however, I decided to just leave that one as it was. I've ruined more than one quick study adding detail later.

So, after I got home I googled the name on the mission statement he had given me: Doc Mishler. Who was this wayfaring stranger? Such an interesting face... and quite an interesting story.

This week, I painted a more complete study from the photos, trying to work quickly and thickly and not smooth the paint strokes like I might for a child's portrait. I chose a panel I'd primed in blue because of the blue undertones in Doc's skin and the highlights reflecting the sky, from under the tent canopy where I was working.

"The Long Rider"
Oil on hardboard, 12"x9"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Very interesting and I love the story! Beautiful painting!