Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Two Minis and Why I Like Oil Paints

I've been asked why I choose oil paints as a medium for most of my paintings. Although there are times when I use pastel or charcoal, most of my art, currently, is done in oil. I've used acrylics and found the fast drying time to be an advantage for some techniques and a disadvantage for others. Although I appreciate the spontaneity of watercolors and the happy accidents, the unpredictable nature of the medium does not suit me.

Oils have many advantages. The slower drying time allows for blending, which is useful whether I'm portraying skies or skin. Acrylics have their advantages but blending wet-in-wet is not one of them. The slower drying of oils makes them very forgiving. If I decide I don't like a passage I painted, I can wipe it off, even hours later.

I'm currently working on a commission piece in which the background is mostly green grass, which can be difficult. The subject is fairly close, so grass texture is important. I'm wanting to show some of that detail without laboring over each blade of grass.

I've built up several layers and let them dry and today added a lighter texture against darker greens. My first efforts with this layer were just too light, and too stark, so even though I'd been working awhile on it, I was thankful I could simply wipe it down to the previous layer and start over.
I'll show it to you later. For now, here are a couple of little warm-up miniatures I hope you will enjoy. The light and contrast of each scene was the inspiration for these little 'uns. I can paint large commissions, too. Let me know if you'd like these, or something bigger.

(first painting)
"Gold Smolder"
Oil, 2"x3"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD

 
(second painting)
"Vapor Tower" Oil
2.25"x3.25" 
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

A very interesting post, Diana. I am truly looking forward to your commissioned piece with all of the grass. I have problems painting grass because of the color green..I can never get that "perfect" shade. I love your mini's, especially love the sky on Gold smolder!! Beautifully painted.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda. I think grass is challenging, as is any setting with lots of green!