Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Snowy Groove" Small Landscape, Winter Painting

Original oil, 4"x6"
©2012 Diana Moses Botkin

We are still having snow in our part of the world, but it comes and goes. Spring is peeking up through the ground in scanty displays, most of them unpretentious and humble. One has to look for the signs closely, but they're there.

Under melting snow are the millions of maple seeds that have fallen from last fall's seed crop. Most of them are trying to take root anywhere and everywhere. Although I fight them in my gardens every year, I marvel at their capacity and productiveness.

This little oil painting is one of those passing scenes I couldn't help but notice: the snowy blanket covering the landscape and that silent channel cutting through the fields that will be a chattering stream very soon.

4 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

I missed our snow this year...in fact, missed the whole winter! I'm sure you get tired of so much snow, but we get tired of days and weeks of over 100° temps here in AR!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Maybe you should visit up this way when summer is intolerable in your town, Vicki!

hmuxo said...

Beautiful painting, as always, Diana! We had a very mild winter which was wonderful..however, they are saying to prepare ourselves with the mosquitos this Spring/Summer! I would rather have the cold weather and snow!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Hilda.

Abundant snow here often produces wet conditions that produce lots of mosquitoes when the weather warms up.