Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our July Painting Challenge: Yellow and Blue

Group member Vicki Ross chose the subject this month. Often these Challenge deadlines sneak up on me and this month was especially sneaky since I'd been out of town. I always have lots to do to catch up after being away, plus I have several art projects already in the works.

To participate or not participate; that is the question.

Actually, that is the question each month. I always have chores and projects...and I do the Challenge anyway. I'm always glad I did.

So, what to paint that fullfills Vicki's idea of something yellow and something blue? I managed to find Aquilegia blooming in one of my gardens (the one that hasn't been weeded in a long time.

The little blue glass in my kitchen cabinet was just the right size for a vase for the small blooms, and provided some straight lines to contrast with the curves of the flower and leaves. The bright colors together were especially enjoyable to paint. Summer sunshine is a wonderful gift!

(left) "Yellow Columbine"
6"x4" Oil on hardboard
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin

Several Challenge Group members told me they too thought they might not be able to participate this month. But they did. As the paintings came to my Inbox from each member I was so impressed and amazed and excited! Aren't they beautiful?!

(below left) "Yellow Lily on Spode Blue Italian Plate" 6x6" Oil on panel ©2010 Jeanne Illeyne(below right) "Summer Bouquet" 6x6" Oil on panel ©2010 Robin Cheers
















(below left) "Amber Waves" 16x20" Oil on canvas ©2010 Suzanne Berry
(below right) "Blue and Yellow" 9x12" Oil on panel ©2010
Vicki Ross



9 comments:

juliakulish/ART SPEAKING said...

Just ran across your site - love your work! Especially the themes - they are just beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more and gleaning art knowledge from you!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Love the wild Columbine in glass, Diana! The shadow adds a nice dimension too.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for the kudos, Ladies. Feedback is always appreciated. Happy painting!

suzanneberry said...

Diana, it's BEAUTIFUL!! It seems impossible that you did this is such a short period of time, it's just lovely! I so identify with your feelings. I dabble with the option of not participating if I'm too busy, but when I plow through I'm so happy I did.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Suzanne: Thank you! It IS a small painting, so that's why I could do it quickly. I've been working on some larger pieces lately, including a portrait commission from exisiting photos. THOSE are taking me SOOOOO long!

Helen Read said...

Lovely renderings ~ all of them!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I love them all too. Wouldn't it be fun to own the whole group of paintings?!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

That Columbine is the most beautiful painting, Diana. I love the blue and yellow but that shadow is just so dramatic. Home RUN!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I did have a lot of fun with that shadow and tried real hard not to labor over it too much... or the rest of the painting.