Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ta-Da... Our March Challenge Paintings Unveiled!

Vicki Ross chose an eggplant for our Challenge subject this month. When she announced it to our Challenge Group, I struggled with what to do for an idea.

Should it be a simple still life painting or perhaps a play on words, like Vicki's painting below? Her idea was actually one of the inspirations discussed at our house.
Another brain storm was eggs on a plant, sort of like those Easter egg trees you see this time of year. Somewhere along the line I toyed with the idea of adding the Legos to my composition.

(left)
"Attack on the Eggplant"
Oil 6"x8"

©2009
Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

My painting was born from some leftover thoughts from last month's Challenge with the Lego figures, combined with memories of one of our home videos where one of my sons played with a Lego knight who stabbed a carrot. So, that's how my surreal idea developed. It was fun and stretched my brain, which is one of the goals of doing these monthly challenges.

I love all the Challenge paintings this month; I hope you have as much fun seeing them as we did painting them!

(left) "At the Market"
Ink & Watercolor 9"x12"
©2009
Robin Cheers

(right) "Eggplants"
Oil 10"x8"
©2009
Silvina Day

(left)
"Eggplant"
Oil 6"x6"
©2009
Michael Naples

(right)

"Huddled Eggplants"
Oil 11"x14"
©2009
Marie Fox

(left)
"It's Just a Big Ol' Eggplant"

Oil 10"x14"
©2009
Dianne Mize

(right) "Eggplant?"
Oil 11"x14"
©2009
Vicki Ross

These are all a lot of fun, don't you think? Next month's Challenge promises to be a lot of fun too. The subject has been named and we're all working in secret on our paintings. Look for our group unveiling on April 15!

8 comments:

pattrsnd said...

Makes me want to try eating eggplant again!! :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Oh yeah, me too! I like mine freshly killed by lego knights.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

My first thought was that the eggplant had been taken over by Lilliputians! What a great take on eggplant. I like the other versions, too.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad you got that impression, Mary. I had the same feeling when I put together the set-up! It was a lot of fun being silly instead of serious. Not that serious is bad... it was just a nice break with some comedic relief.

Jelaine Faunce said...

AWESOME!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

You are the Queen of the Challenge, Jelaine, so I truly value your kudos. Thank you for stopping by!

Caio Fern said...

since the last time i came here , this painting didnt got out of my mind . i tell everybory about it.you have no idea the bless was to find it .well , i think i am sounding crazy so it is better to stop . beautiful work.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you for your fun comments, Caio!