Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Some Recent Portrait Studies


 
As I mentioned in a recent post, portraits and figurative studies have been my principle focus so far this year.

These four oils are a small sampling of my concentrations. I'll have more to show here as soon as I can get additional work photographed and inventoried.

"Mary" (in top left painting), and "Rui" (in third painting) were two more models who posed for my portrait workshop in Oklahoma City last month, mentioned in this post.

"Delicate" is a study at Open Studios in Scottsdale, and "Skip" was painted in Oklahoma City when I sat in on some sessions at OCU. I was so impressed with what I saw at OCU. Professor Mike Wimmer is doing an amazing job teaching his students fundamentals, various painting techniques, and an appreciation of beauty.

These elements of an art education are vital. I missed out on this approach in my own college years, as the emphasis was on abstract art where I was, and I struggled to learn about realism on my own. But, I figure if my eyes hold out, I'll continue to learn. I'm so thankful for time with the models this winter and some input from others.

Please contact me if you'd like me to paint a portrait or other commission.

7 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Hard to know which one I like best as I like them all!
I agree - art is continual learning.
Good realism has to be hardest of all and you certainly have accomplished your goal.

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, The portrait paintings are just wonderful.

Celeste Bergin said...

Great portraits! I love them all...especially "Skip". I read your article in Art Professional Magazine..congratulations!

Susan said...

A great group of portraits, Diana. I seem to be focusing a lot of attention on portraiture as well. It is no easy task but drawing and painting from life is incomparable. Learning is lifelong I think!

Skip Hill said...

Diana, how wonderful to discover your world of portraits today! I enjoy your process, your pursuit, your passion. Happy to be in your portfolio!

Skip Hill said...

Diana, how wonderful to discover your world of portraits today! I enjoy your process, your pursuit, your passion. Happy to be in your portfolio!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, All! I love hearing from each of you.