Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

December Painting Challenge: Blue

"Blue": the Challenge this month was chosen by group member Vicki Ross. Such a simple request, but the multitude of possibilities made for a real puzzler. One of the thoughts behind the Challenge is to paint something that we haven't tackled before. I've been wanting to try some shiny Christmas ornaments, so this was a good excuse.

"Holiday Blues"
Oil on hardboard 5"x7"
Still life of Shiny Christmas ornaments
 

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin

Painting that reflective glass, getting the spheres to look right, and just making an interesting composition in the first place were all more challenging than I'd envisioned. But it was fun too, and I love what everyone did for the blue theme.
 




(left above) "Malibu Blue" Oil on canvas, 4"x8.75" ©2011 Ruth Andre
(right above) "Blues" Silverpoint and Oil on Gessoboard, 4"x4" ©2011 Vicki Ross
(left below) "Blue Ice" Oil on canvas16"x20" ©2011 Suzanne Berry
(right below) "Windy Beach" Oil on panel,
12"x9" ©2011 Robin Cheers

 

6 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, I love the Blue painting and it is such a beautiful work for the holiday season. Lovely!

suzanneberry said...

stunning painting diana!! i love it! happy holidays!

A Painter's Journal said...

I love blue for Christmas decor. Maybe it reminds me of ice and snow, or the dark blue skies of that most important night so long ago. Your ornaments are stunning.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Ruth, Suzanne, and Robin. I appreciate all your remarks and your beautiful paintings, too.

Robin, I like those good thoughts about that dark blue first Christmas night.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I agree that the blue of the night is one of the things about Christmas that I love.
These are great paintings.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It's so nice to hear from you, Mary! Thank you for stopping by.