Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

January Challenge: Something That Begins With "Pi"

This month's subject was chosen by Sharman Owings. She specified that we paint anything that begins with “pi” – pilot, pig etc. Yep... another brain teaser!

I made a whole list of ideas. A few jumped off the page as particularly promising for possibilites: pizza, pigeon, pineapple, pilgrim, pipe, pistol. My teenage son especially encouraged the pistol idea.

Seeing fresh pineapples in the grocery store cinched the idea for me, though. I'd previously wanted to use one in a still life and had just never quite gotten around to it. This seemed like the perfect time to buy one.

I decided a contrast was in order for the tropical fruit that had made the trip to our frozen region. It seemed pretty amazing, really, that the fruit could be cultivated, grown, harvested, packed and shipped across the ocean for retail sale in a north Idaho grocery department for four bucks.

"Pineapple on the Snow"
Original unframed oil on hardboard 8"x10"
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


(left) "Apples for Pie"
Pastel on Pastelboard 11"x14"
©2011 Vicki Ross

(below left)

"Piggy" Oil on linen 10"x10" ©2011Suzanne Berry

(below center)
"Pink Piglet" Oil on canvas 6"x6" ©2011 Ruth Andre

(below right)
"Old Pickup Truck" Oil on canvas panel 6"x8" ©2011 Robin Cheers





"Pilsner" Oil on masonite 6"x 6" ©2011 Sharman Owings

4 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

LOVE the shadows on the snow! Now are you gonna have us believe you did this en plein air? hahahehehoho!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

very cool paintings. That pineapple in the snowbank is beautiful. I had to look twice to make sure I was seeing it correctly. My brain was saying pine cone ;)

suzanneberry said...

diana, this is one of my favorite paintings of your to day. the cool blue juxtaposed against the warm pineapple is just stunning and so beautifully painted. bravo!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Vicki: does painting from a window count as plein air? I don't do well out in the cold very long!

Mary: haha... I almost added some pinecones to this but decided I liked the simplicity of one object and the mystery how the tropical fruit got there.

Suzanne: thanks, that means a lot coming from you!