Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November Painting Challenge: Wisdom

November's Challenge "Wisdom" is courtesy of group member Suzanne Berry. What a challenging subject to portray! A wide variety of ideas could be interpreted.My first thought was the verse "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom". It is found in Proverbs 9:10, (and others) and is a recurrent theme in (guess what) the wisdom books of scripture. It can also be seen in numerous other bible references.But how to represent that? Several things came to mind and would've been appropriate if I'd had the right model, the right setting and a lot more time.
As with our other Challenges, the time constraints are part of the deal. Having had the idea announced a few weeks earlier, our group paints for the finish deadline on the 14th of each month and we all post to our blogs on the 15th.At left, is my piece, which you can purchase here.

"Seek and You Will Find"

Oil on hardboard, 8"x6"
unframed
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


Plus, close work is a lot more difficult with fading eyesight. Painting this piece larger would've been a lot easier than doing the smaller one!

I sure like all the other interpretations of our theme this month from the rest of the group.
















(above left) "Wisdom" Oil on canvas, 16"x20" ©2011 Suzanne Berry
(above right) "Helping Hands" Oil on panel, 10"x8" ©2011 Robin Cheers
(below left) "Wisdom"
Pastel on paper, 3"x4" ©2011 Vicki Ross(right) "Morning Watch -The Innate Wisdom of Animals" Oil, 6"x6" ©2011 Ruth Andre

6 comments:

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, Your painting made me stop and think and I do believe it is perfect for the Challenge. Nicely done.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Ruth, thank you! This Challenge felt especially challenging, so I'm glad to know my efforts paid off.

juliakulish/ art speaking said...

Diana - awesome. I love that your first thought was Porverbs - wonderful!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate you dropping by, Julia. Thank you for the encouragement.

suzanneberry said...

a wonderful depiction of wisdom, one might say the best source for it...and beautifully painted!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Suzanne, for your words of support. The Lord is, indeed, the source of wisdom. I'm so thankful He is a patient teacher!