Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Overs: Recycling Junky Paintings

"Violet Morning"
Original oil painting, 4"x6"
©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

SOLD

I'm still working on several projects that are taking awhile. It's been a fun challenge to grab a stinker from my pile of failed paintings and use it as a warm-up. Usually the fix looks quite different from what I started with.

Most of the original pieces were such dogs that I don't even want to show you what they looked like!

This one above was from a paint out in 2008. The sky was grey and blah, even though I named it a colorful title. One can always hope the power of suggestion kicks in for viewers, eh? Actually, while painting this little study in early morning light it probably looked more purplish on location than in regular light later.

Part of the fun of redoing these lemons is making the painting work with the title. I simplified and changed the sky in the one above to make the image more violet, and got rid of that previous boring grey one.

This one at left looks absolutely nothing like the bomb I painted over, which is a good thing.

"Afternoon Sky"

Original oil painting
5"x3.5"

©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


I love it that the pieces have a new life and my pile of failures is getting a little smaller. Of course, I realize it is inevitable that I'll have no shortage of unsuccessful paintings in the future, unless I just quit painting altogether.

1 comment:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Cathyann. I'm glad you stopped by and left me your encouragement. I love the miracle of blogging... putting my efforts on display for whoever sees it and then finding common ground with new friends.