Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Challenge of the Figure

Attending Open Studio is helpful and inspiring. It's good exercise: drawing from life. The figure is more complicated than most still life subjects, however. And models simply can't hold a pose as long as a piece of fruit.

I enjoy the challenge of drawing the figure and striving to get the proportions right, the weight
of the pose natural, the body forms and curves convincing, even with foreshortening or odd angles.
Drawing the landscape is complicated too, and there is a lot to think about for composition to work well with all elements. But a tree still looks like a tree even if it isn't drawn accurately. And sometimes forms in a landscape actually need to be changed to work better with the particular set of elements in the scene. That tree taller there. That one left out.

But I must study the figure for what it is. Oh sure, I can trim a waistline or widen a foot for better balance or form, but
the challenge of portraying the human form realistically is to capture the sitter's pose in a short time and make marks on paper that look convincing.

4 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Diana, you ROCK! Now put some of this in writing...:)

MyArtTutor has a facebook page now...would love you to share!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I appreciate the kudos, Lady!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

The one on the right is my favorite. Makes me think of a nude golfer. How did the shot end up?

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Haha Bill... "nude golfer" does conjure up some amusing images. She would be awfully distracting on the green, tho'.