Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Drawings

"Standing Male, Charcoal"
Original unframed charcoal drawing on white bond paper, 17"x11".


These sketches are my favorites from this week's session with the model. The same fellow posed for us. It looks like he's lost a few pounds. My Texan grandma would say "dropped off". She said to me once during a visit years ago, "Have you dropped off?" I asked her, "Dropped off of what? I'd never heard the expression before in reference to losing a few pounds.
As an artist I like to see bone structure and muscle definition, so lean muscular models are more interesting to me. But not all artists feel this way, especially about female models.

"Man Touching Ankles, Charcoal"

Original unframed charcoal drawing on tan Canson paper, 12"x16".

©2008 Diana Moses Botkin

8 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I like the second one best .... They are both well rendered, but I think the pose is more appealing with the second.
I've never heard of the "dropped off" expression before... Sure would like to drop off a couple of mine!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

It's a funny colloquialism, isn't it?!

Alex Perez pintor contemporaneo said...

again excellent drawings Diana!
love them very much.
Alex

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm happy to hear that, Alex. I love to paint so much in Creation but especially the figure, God's highest work... and with an eternal soul. Pretty amazing.

Alex Perez pintor contemporaneo said...

Thank you Diana for stopping by my blog, you know how much I appreciate your coments and visits to my paintings, I wish to you a wonderful time , even in the snow that have a great potencial for landscapes paintings, that for sure by your hands can be great works.
hugs.
Alex

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you dear Alex. I appreciate you stopping by this blog also. I'm hoping to get back to some snow paintings soon!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

I can see why they might be favorites, very well drawn.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Bill. I think they're my favorites because I felt they captured a bit of the model's personality even in quick sketches.