Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Portrait Oil Sketches


(left) 
"Hopeful"
Oil 6.5"x5"
©2016 Diana Moses Botkin

Here are a couple of studies, from sessions this past winter at Geatches in Oklahoma City. Both of these lovely young ladies were patient models with fun hair for portrait oil sketches.

These two pieces are the last I have to show you from my stay in OKC. The one plein air painting I did there looks terrible, so I'm debating its destiny. 

I also have some other work from my winter travels, which is not quite ready for prime time. Some of it I'm trying to decide if I should do anything more, or simply call it done. A few others I've worked on and have likely ruined. Trying times.

(left) 
"Translucent"
Oil 9"x9"
©2016 Diana Moses Botkin

5 comments:

hmuxo said...

These two portraits are amazing as always....the skin tones are wonderful! I'm not sure how I missed your last painting but you did a great job on your figure work, Diana! They're beautiful...... I just finished a portrait of my granddaughter on her Communion day and I showed it to my daughter....her reaction made me cackle...,she said she looks 90 years old!!!! Needless to say I will probably put it in the trash "unless" I figure out what I did wrong!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I have to say it is definitely a relief to throw away the bad ones. Problem solved. I like this quote by Thomas Edison, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

You can do the simple to the finished with equal skill, Diana. Your warm and cool colors in the skin are wonderful, but I recognize your professional drawing ability as a solid foundation for everything you do.
I really enjoyed the Edison quote too. This was a very satisfying visit!

mary maxam said...

I particularly like this casual top portrait and her way of leaning into her hand. Always great handling of form!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Julie and Mary ~ I always value your feedback. Thank you for dropping by and for your kind encouragement.