Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Plein Air Painting in Paradise

I took my very first trip to Hawaii recently. And I left north Idaho just in time, as temps got to eight below zero while I gone.

In Hawaii, however, I was enjoying sun on my skin and no shoes in balmy 85 degree weather.

I stored up some vitamin D during my week there, along with memories of sweet sunset scenes and tropical colors.

(left)
"Glow Through the Palms"
Original oil, 4"x6"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

I am a warm weather girl, so it was quite difficult to leave and fly home to cold, dark, short days in our northern residence. Summers are wonderful here, especially for people like my husband, who do not like hot weather. Winters can be beautiful up here at the edge of the earth, especially when the sun shines on a new blanket of snow, but the dark months are a challenge for those of us who crave sunshine and warmer temps.

(left) "Nightfall at the Dock"
Original Oil, 6"x6"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

I'm missing Hawaii already. I'm glad I was able to paint there, and take some photographs.

As you can see from the top photo where I am painting from the dock in Kona, cameras simply don't do a scene justice. So I hope you will enjoy these plein air color studies I painted at that location.

2 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Ahhhh. I've never been to Hawaii, and so wish I had. I'm with hubby...don't lika sweat and hot weather. I'm perfectly happy in my sweats and hoodies...Uggs are me fav footwear. Nice paintings :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I like my UGGs too, Vicki, especially right now! My feet are never cold in them, even if I'm tromping through wet snow. I wish I would've had them as a kid walking to school in winter.

We had to wear DRESSES back then in ancient times. If we wore pants under our skirts to walk to school those had to come off during class hours. Wind chill factor on the Great Plains in winter 'bout froze us little kids.