Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October Challenge: Paint with a Palette Knife

Our painting puzzler this month is courtesy of Vicki. She chose for us to paint something using a palette knife. This is a first for me.

I've used the tool plenty of times to spread paint in large areas such as skies or fields, or to mix colours on my palette. But to do an entire painting with one? I've never even tried that before. 

I must say I was dreading this Challenge, as I was not at all confident that I could make anything look good without using my paint brushes. Much to my surprise it went pretty well for what I wanted to do, or at least mostly. I confess I used my finger a few times on that cloud edge! But the rest of the painting I managed to do with the knife.

(above) "Puff Top" Oil on hardboard, 6"x8" ©2013 Diana Moses Botkin


It did feel rather clunky to paint with the knife, and I missed my brushes more than once. However, I had a lot of fun with this exercise, which is one of our goals for the Challenge. That's worth a lot.

Please enjoy Vicki and Suzanne's knife paintings for our Challenge this month! 


(image at left)
#17
Oil on paper, 7.5" x 7.5"
©2013 Vicki N. Ross


(lower left image)
"Flower of the Sun"
Oil on canvas,12"x12"
©2013 Suzanne Berry

6 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Well done, Diana. You managed to get movement and beautiful color so consider the a success. The right knife helps a lot too.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Julie! I would LOVE to hear your suggestions for the "right knife". Since I have not really used them for painting, I have no idea what to look for.

VickiRossArt said...

Me too, Julie...what is the right knife? Diana, this piece is so different than the typical knife painting...you managed to express your style! Great Job!

Ruth Andre said...

Diana, I love the challenge and I love your landscape painting. The colors and the palette knife strokes are gorgeous.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks for dropping by, Ruth.

As much as some of us hollered, I thing it was good for us!

Jane Hunt said...

Beautiful job on this challenge Diana. The knife is tricky, but really freeing in a way!
Congrats on your first place award too :)