Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pushing Paint in Tuscany

I still had not located any paint thinner when I did this little study the next morning after finishing "San Gimagnano, Afternoon".

I could see the silhouetted towers up the hill from where I was, with the awakening sky behind it.

Pushing the thick paint around on my little panel without any solvent worked because I kept the big shapes and the silhouetted contrast my main focus.

I wasn't able to find a hardware store to buy some paint thinner until the day after this, in another town.

"San Gimagnano, Morning"
Original unframed oil, approx. 5"x7"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

2 comments:

mary maxam said...

I like the textural quality of the stone walls here, so I think the thick paint 'feel' worked well here. just caught your post on travelling with materials and will definitely take notes! thanks :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Mary.