Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Painting in Tuscany

I can hardly believe I just wrote the post title. And yet, just over a week ago I was there. And painting!

Being in Florence recently with all the art was wonderful, along with our trip into the Tuscan region. Now that I'm back home in my quiet and solitary existence, I'm thinking it is a little like living in one of those lonely monasteries sequestered on a hill.

The memories of our Italy trip are still quite fresh, though, and I'm enjoying remembering. After our stay in Florence, we rented a little car and drove away from the big city and toward the country. The Bed and Breakfast we found near the ancient walled town of San Gimagnano had a lovely view of the town.

The medieval walled city, a short walk up the hill, was typical of several ancient towns we explored during our week in the area: narrow cobblestone streets, a church and bell tower, and little shops along the streets.

It not being tourist season, some places were not open and I learned there was no hardware store in town. I was looking for some paint thinner or turpentine but didn't locate any.

So I had to do without for this little study I did in the afternoon. The fast-drying oils (alkyds) I brought felt like chalky mud on my brushes and it was difficult to get sharp edges or detail in this small piece.

However, the simplified forms have a certain charm, so I'm glad the piece worked out as it did.

"San Gimagnano, Afternoon"
Original unframed oil, approx. 6"x6"
©2013 Diana Moses Botkin

4 comments:

hmuxo said...

It's a lovely view of the town, Diana...you can paint with the tip of a horses' tail and it would be a beautiful piece..but I'm sure it must have been a little frustrating not having the supplies that you need.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm tickled you think I could paint with just anything and make it work, Hilda! I think, though, that I'm fairly dependent on my familiar supplies.

Doing this study without some paint thinner was actually good to get me out of my comfort zone. I actually like the result and, although it was a bit frustrating, it was fun to see what happened.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Say what?! A TWO week trip to Tuscany??!!! Ya bum!! Oh, at least I get to read the blog posts. :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

The trip was two weeks total, Diane: a week in Florence and another week driving around, exploring Tuscany.

I'm already wanting to go back and spend a lot longer there!