Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Friday, November 19, 2010

"Red Slip" completed



Okay. So I just can't leave well enough alone.

Because well enough is simply not good enough.

Why paint in oils if you're not going to make them really work for you? Flesh should look like flesh. Silk should resemble the shiny stuff. Backgrounds might be rough though, I think.

I liked that 30 minute start. And it was a good start, but not a painting, at least to my mind. I would call it a sketch.

Several hours later, it looks like something to keep and put in a frame.


(left)


"Red Slip"
Original oil on board
12"x6"
©2010 Diana Moses Botkin





6 comments:

julia Kulish/ Art Speaking said...

Really lovely - I so enjoy the softness that you convey in your paintings!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Julia. It's nice of you to drop by.

Marie Fox said...

Wow, Diana, I'm impressed by this lovely figure painting. Her back is perfect, not an easy task. And I love the flow of fabric in her dress. Marie

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks, Marie, for your nice comments. Backs are a favorite to study.

It's really good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you recently. I see from your blog you are staying busy painting more lovely ladies!

Cyndy Carstens said...

Incredibly beautiful - the skin tones "feel" lovely and warm - the slip silky and soft. You have a marvelous painting here!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Cyndy, thank you for saying so. It's especially nice to hear the compliments from fellow women artists about this feminine piece.