Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Vintage Ink Bottle" Art Supplies Daily Painting

Original unframed oil painting 4"x6"
Old Higgins India Ink bottle and stopper
©2009 Diana Moses Botkin


SOLD
 
I've had this old bottle a long time, along with some others that actually contain ink. Occasionally I still use the stuff.

2 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Lovely little painting. I was talking with someone the other day asking if they had used ink bottles in school. They had not; too young. I can remember the old school desks with the hole to hold an ink bottle. I think it was second grade where we started to use these and dip the ink pen into the bottle, write, and then blot the paper. After 100's of years of writing like this all has changed.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

We had some of those desks in school also, but never used ink in grade school that I recall. I do remember using the refillable fountain pens in Jr. High but we filled them at home, as I recall.

Sometime after that the fountain pens with cartridges were in widespread use, which eliminated the need for an ink bottle unless you were thrifty and refilled the cartridges yourself.

My family was thrifty and my mother was a nurse, so we used some old GLASS syringes to refill our ink cartridges.

Not long after that inexpensive ball point pens became the norm. Amazing.