Welcome to my Art Blog! I paint or draw most weekdays and sometimes finish a painting a day. I fondly call them my "Postcards from Paradise" because it's such a beautiful place the Lord made here for us.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Walnut in Hull" Miniature Still Life Daily Painting

Original oil on panel 2.25"x3.25"
Unframed with mini display easel
©2009 Diana Moses Botkin

I'm currently surrounded by reminders of our precipitous existence here on earth. My friend Sandy waited another day for the Lord to take her home. She has lost her battle with pancreatic cancer. And my Uncle Marvin passed away yesterday.

This past week I was outside in the yard picking up walnuts that had dropped to the ground. As I was gathering the fruits and removing hulls, I thought a lot about Sandy and Marvin who were both hospitalized and near the end of their lives.


God puts these simple reminders everywhere of the soul. I noticed them last spring when I painted the
maple seed series and am reminded again with these walnuts. That outer hull, once green and alive while the fruit was growing, eventually rots away, revealing the inner part which is the real substance.

Psalm 139:16

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;

And in Your book were all written

The days that were ordained for me,

When as yet there was not one of them.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

"the inner part, the real substance"

How beautiful, Diana.
How like our Savior to show you something so precious.

Thank you for sharing.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes, the Lord so kindly shows us so many good illustrations; may we have eyes to see and ears to hear.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

As I recall those little dark walnut coverings were very staining.

Nice painting Diana!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Yes they are, Bill! Walnut hulls make a nice natural warm brown dye for wool and other items. They also stain the fingers for a week or more.

Dean H. said...

Lovely painting...commentary...and scripture.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thanks so much for saying so, Dean. I really appreciate you dropping by. I enjoy your work.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful analogy and thank you so much for pointing it out. So many times I feel I miss these beautiful things. A true artist sees with more than just their eyes and you are truly an artist. Thank you!

Cyndi Wolf Adams

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm glad you were blessed by this, Cyndi. Perhaps simply pointing out stuff is part of the artist's job. I know for me, it's something I just can't help doing. (Ask my kids and they'll tell you Mom has always been urging them to look at stuff like light on clouds, or hills, or whatever.)

“Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven’t time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.” - Georgia O’Keefe (1887-1986)

Dave Rossi said...

Diana,
Suffering in this life at times is so incomprehensible. Thankfully, we can rest assured that God has something greater and better for us than this time of physical trial!
Take care in your ankle recovery.
Dave

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Thank you, Dave. Suffering is part of this life. Having the Lord to walk through it with us, or carry us, makes it bearable.